Friday, October 26, 2007

E-tivity 2 : Language Feedback

Dear all,

I read all of your blog posts, and most of your comments, and can say, without a doubt, that the communicative act in all of them is effective and appropriate. Nonetheless, they're not perfect. Some of your mistakes seem to be due to lack of proof-reading (like spelling mistakes) where others seem to be due to lack of knowledge (like using the present perfect incorrectly). None of them get in the way of understanding, but we're here to improve our English, aren't we?
Each week I will try and take two groups' work correct it and send it to you all as .pdfs linked to a post. I would like to ask you all to print them and carefully analyze the mistakes. I noticed that you often make the same ones and could have a lot to learn from my corrections of other people's mistakes. Please bring them to class on Monday so we can discuss what the common errors are. If you want, try and start making a list of common errors for Monday. In my corrections, I tried not to influence your style, but there are some basic rules that need to be followed if you want your posts to be readable.
I noticed that one or two of you, in your comments, pointed out language mistakes to your peers. Please do that as much as possible as I'm sure you have a lot to learn from each other and could really help each other out.
I've got a question for you: when you come across new words, what do you do with them? Do you just read and forget, or do you write them down somewhere? In other words, what can you do to use the language you find in blogs to help improve your English?
One last thing: as you might have guessed, there's no reading for Monday. I've got another activity planned and that will leave you time and energy to do e-tivity 3 and you deserve a break after your hours spent on the blogosphere!

Sarah

Group A posts and comments

Group B posts and comments

No comments: