Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Alessandra Peron


Hi, my name's Alessandra and I'm a 23-year-old student at the University of Padova. This is going to be my last semester at university; at the moment, I'm having some English and German language courses, as well as working on my thesis.

While I was browsing Flickr to find a picture which could represent me, I fell in love with this one (source). I almost wish I was there, under that beautiful blue sky, lying on the grass, with a good book and not a care in the world. As you might guess, my greatest passion is reading. When I was younger, I used to read anything I could get my hands on. Now I generally prefer romances and historical novels. My favourite authors include Jane Austen, Isabel Allende, Nick Hornby, and Jonathan Coe. The last book I read was The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler. In this novel, set in California, five women and one man meet on a monthly basis to discuss Jane Austen's novels, one at a time. I found it incredibly witty and amusing... I recommend it to every Austen-lover.

Some websites I find interesting:
  • Short stories at east of the web, an archive of short stories, organized by genre.
  • Il mestiere di scrivere, a useful collection of articles and resources devoted to writing in good Italian (there's even a related blog).
  • Reference.com, which includes a Dictionary, a Thesaurus, and an Encyclopaedia for English. The Thesaurus comes in handy when I get stuck on a word and can't find any synonyms!

7 comments:

Alida said...

Dear Alessandra,
I must admit that the photo you chose caught immediately my attention because it is quite different from all the others. I appreciated also your ideas and suggestions about books and I think that I will follow them. I do share your same interest in reading but I can do that just when I'm not studying for my exams...
If you know any good novels containing murders and mistery let me know!
Alida

Erica Buzz said...

Dear Alessandra,
I think the photo you chose is the one that better represents you. Given that we know to each other quite good, I know that you like reading and you are a “curious” person, in the sense that, like me, you are always interested in learning new things.
However, contrarily to you, I don’t like reading neither Jane Austen nor Isabella Allende. I’ve got a book of Isabella Allende at home, named “La casa degli spiriti”; I have tried to read it four or five times, but I really don’t like it. When there is a book I don’t like, I like thinking that perhaps it is not the right moment to read it. It has already happened to me to appreciate the reading of a book I had bought years before. Maybe it depends only on time, what do you think?
Another thing I’d like to say about your photo is that it is really beautiful, and it is like many of those I usually take. The photos I prefer taking are not those with people but those with landscapes, natural elements, such as the sea, the clouds, the mountain…This photo reflects my character, which is very simple and essential, but I think it reflects also yours, since you are very simple, always positive, and intelligent.
Erica Buzzacarin

avalonne83 said...

Dear Alessandra,
I do love reading every kind of books, in particular when I don’t have exams or other stressing deadlines. I think it’s a good way of relaxing and also learning something about other cultures, especially when you read some travel literature…by the way, have you ever read anything by Bruce Chatwin?

ilaria said...

Dear Alessandra, I'm not a fun of reading as you are but I'm a fun of Jane Austen novels, too! I will look for the book you recommanded! As concerns reading I have to say I never considered it a recreational activity because to me reading requires an effort of concentration: indeed while reading it is difficult for me not to think to something else! I have always envied people who really likes reading and to whom reading is an hobby bacause I think they're advantaged also in studying.

Alessandra said...

Thanks for all your comments!

Alida, you're right, there's little time for reading when you're busy with coursework or exams!

Erica, I don't know why you don't like "The House of the Spirits"... I loved that book, and "Of Love and Shadows" as well. Maybe you're right and it is the wrong time. Or maybe the incipt doesn't capture you.

No, Martina, I've never read anything by Bruce Chatwin; thanks for the suggestion, I'll have a look at his work.

Ilaria, you're right, reading requires concentration. Anyway, I think that if you have a hard time concentrating on a novel you're reading for plesure, then that's not the book for you and maybe you should try something else...

Her Royal Highness Susanne said...

Hi alessandra,
I really love you picture, it is beautiful and your introduction is very interesting! I like reading too and I read a lot, above all in the train and before going to bed. I like novels and short stories (the link to shortstories is great!)Let me know, if you read some other interesting book!
See you soon,
susanne

Alessandra said...

Thanks, Susanne, I'm glad you liked the link to shortstories.